Sunday, February 04, 2007

Ajay saved me today

Today I had an accident at Raglan when I almost drowned. We had gone to Raglan with a friend Ravi and his family, wife Geetha and sons Ajay and Arun, 13 and 9 years old.

After reaching there , we took a couple of kayaks. Ajay was in one and I was in the other. That was my first Kayaking expedtion, though I have rowed boats and can pretty much manage it well. The Kayak lady, Candide, explained how to use the paddle and advised how to react should we tip over. She emphasised that the kayak or we would not drown and it was quite easy to upright the Kayak and climb in. She warned though that for young boys it is easy to climb in and adults have to actually contort their bodies the right way to get in again. She said 'don't panic, you will be alright and won't drown as you will have the life-jacket on'

We got into our respective Kayaks and rowed under a couple of bridges enjoying the scenery. After about 30 minutes, I started feeling uncomfortable with a pain developing in upper torso and feeling very tight around the stomach and chest. My legs went sort of wobbly, started feeling pain around the knees and upper thigh. I knew something was wrong and told Ajay that I was not feeling okay.

We started to row back. I still felt unwell and wanted to lie down on my back but could not. I felt that if I loosten the belt I might feel okay. But I forgot Candide's remark that there was no belt and they deliberately do not strap people in. While extending my hand sideways to search for the imaginary clasp on the imaginary belt, what do you think happened?

I tipped over into the water, upturning the Kayak. The water was deep , but we were not very far from the bridge. But I panicked and went down into the water, with the life-jacket weighing me down a bit and took in a bit of water. One hand holding the kayak, I could sense my spectacles fall into the water and instantly became blind, as my the prescription glasses are high-power and I can't see very well without them. My panic went up several notches, I shouted to Ajay. He immediately jumped into the water and came to help me. Though I know swimming and could have left the kayak and swam to the shore, I lost my presence of mind. I did not know how well Ajay could swim and I got scared that I was putting him in danger. I still did not release the Kayak, may be thinking I was responsible for returning it to Candide.
Ajay came near me and we both pushed the kayak upright, he climbed in, but I could not. It was too much for him to pull me in.

Meanwhile I went into the water a couple of times, stupid of me and felt I was having a heart attack. I requeseted Ajay to shout for help and both of us started shouting. We had slowly moved towards the bridge and could see cars driving on it. We shouted some more, all the time pulling towards the shore, thanks to Ajay who kept his cool and almost dragged the Kayak towards the bridge, with me clinging on and beating my legs in some kind of swimming motion. I still can't figure why I could not think of letting go of the Kayak which would have enabled me to swim. May be my chest pain was increasing and clouded my thoughts.

A couple of cars stopped and people started coming down the banks. We had by this time reached the rocks under the bridge leg near the shore, and Ajay pulled me up part way. But then I collapsed as my lower body and legs refused to co-operate and I was out of breath, with salt water irritating my throat. I just leaned on the rocks and let the people who came down carry me up the bank to the grass edge.

Somebody had already phoned for Ambulance which showed up shortly.

Roynie the para-medic (I think I am right) slowly walked me to the ambulance and checked my pulse, heart-beat and breath and declared I was gradually returning to normal. After checking my story and my condition, she suggested that though I was not in any immediate danger, I should consult a doctor and offered to take me in the Ambulance to Waikato Hospital.

Meantime we had telephoned my wife who brought the car over. Initially I did not tell her the full story on the phone, but after reaching the scene, she took in my condition.
We debated for sometime and then decided not to go to the hospital straight-away, but take rest at Raglan and recover, which is what we did.

I wish to thank Mark from Auckland and the passengers of other 2 cars ( I could not get their names, but one of them is a Maori couple) and also the gentleman who rowed the kayaks from the middle of the backwater on to the grass.

Ajay played a major role in rescuing me. He kept his cool, did not panic, remembered the instructions of Candide and guided me correctly to the shore. It must have been physically a tough task for him, but he did it somehow.

We are grateful to Ajay and Mark, Roynie and others who were there today to bring me back.
And a big sorry to Candide for messing up her peace of mind for a long time today.

Thanks heaps guys and I wish you all the best forever.

No comments: